Re: ISPs' willingness to take action

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Oct 27 10:28:39 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 [email protected] wrote:
> A few things that make sense to me (as a non-ISP network consultant)
> include:

Most ISPs are relatively secure.  Yes, occasionally a backbone
router shows up on some list with a password of "cisco."  The major
problems are in the systems managed and installed on non-ISP networks
(i.e. end-users).

> 1) Summarily fencing/sandboxing/disconnecting clients sending high volumes
> of spam, virii, etc.  You might politely contact your commercial/static
> clients first, but anyone connecting a "bare" PC on a broadband circuit is
> too stupid to deserve coddling.  The great majority of your clients would
> thank you profusely.

Really?  Most users are angry when their network connection is interrupted
for any reason, including their own mistakes.  Read some of the articles
in the university newspapers when students were cut of from the network
after not fixing their computers.

How many people thank police officers when they are stopped for speeding,
reckless driving, drunk driving, burned out taillights, etc?  Or instead
how many say things like the police should be out catching "real"
criminals (i.e. anyone other than them)?

As a non-ISP consultant, when a client asks you to configure their
Exchange server do you always conduct a top-to-bottom security analysis of
the client's entire business infrastructure and refuse to do business with
them until after they have corrected every deficiency?  Or does the client
just say screw you, and hires a different consultant that will do what
the client wants?

> 2) Notwithstanding the above, would it really be so hard to trap network
> packets bearing clear signatures of the "plague of the month"?  Sure, it
> would create an extra load on routers or require special filtering
> hardware, but wouldn't it be worth it?  Again, no need to be comprehensive;
> just blast the ones that are easy pickings.

Routers (especially high end routers) are barely stable just routing
packets.  Some high-end line cards don't support even a simple 2-line
access control list.  With the market currently heading to the lowest
price possible, increasing costs doesn't appear to pay even for the niche
markets that are interested.  Instead the extra equipment is installed
where there are clients willing to pay for it.

The easiest, most effective place to catch packets is at the edge/end-users.
An end-user firewall is $0-$50. Anywhere in the core is very difficult.
What is the cost of a single OC192 firewall?  Look at the post office, it
doesn't try to find Anthrax in most of the mail.  Instead a few locations
at the edge of the postal system, e.g. the White House, Congress, etc,
have added security precautions.  The rest of the mail just flys through
the system.

> 3) There was a thread a little while ago that talked about a way to cut
> down spam by simply restricting who you would accept SMTP traffic from.
> Unfortunately, I don't recall the details, but at the time it struck me as
> eminently sensible, and just required cooperation between ISPs to implement
> effectively.

Again, look the postal mail system.  One proposal required everyone mail
letters in person at the post office, and show id to the postal clerk.
The problem is it really doesn't solve the problem.  Third-party trust
systems don't scale well beyone one or two degrees of separation. And
there is only one major postal system.

But it doesn't require cooperation from the ISP to accept mail from only
people you know.  You can do that today.  The question is why don't more
people do it?  The ISP doesn't know who you know.  Should ISPs require you
to register your friends & family in order to receive mail? I don't know
if it has come to that.

And we all know how effective Caller-ID has been in cutting down
telemarketing phone calls at dinner time.  And the related caller-id
blocking, and block caller-id blocking, and block block caller-id
blocking, etc.

> By the way, can anybody explain to me a legitimate use for port 135/137
> traffic across the Internet, like it's somebody's private LAN?  Seems to me
> anybody who still thinks that's legitimate is living in the past.

Bits on the wire using ports 135/137 are not intrinsically less safe than
any other bits. And vendors have shown a willingness to add ways around
port filters in the network, not by developing more secure protocols but
by developing ways to send the same packets between insecure systems on
other ports.

Sendmail and BIND have more CERT/CC advisories than any other application,
including NETBIOS.  How many people are suggesting blocking port 53 and
port 25?

> So, the big question: why don't ISPs do more of this?  Are they afraid of
> client reaction?  Doesn't wash, for me: most clients would be highly
> grateful, and all it really takes for the remainder is fair warning.  Cost?
> Again, you can judge for yourselves how low the fruit you choose to pick;
> the biggest gains have the best ROI.
>
> Happy clients, liberated bandwidth, faster servers -- what's to loose?

Angry clients, increased bandwidth costs, slower servers doing more
checks?

ISPs are doing a lot to protect end-users.  Some examples include

Education campaigns
Free anti-virus software
Free personal firewall software
Port filters (port 80 anyone?)
Notification of compromised systems
Incident Response
Intrusion Detection/Intrusion Prevention
Managed Security Services

Unfortunately some of the argument is a bit like the old cries for public
payphone companies were responsible for the drug dealers in poor
neighborhoods.  So they removed public payphones.  The drug dealing
problem wasn't solved.