RE: ISPs' willingness to take action

  • From: Adam Hall
  • Date: Sun Oct 26 23:16:09 2003

Title: RE: ISPs' willingness to take action

Brian.. I would agree with you that sometimes, you can't offer "filtered pipe" services to everyone and expect the same general acceptance of the product across the board.  However, how much liability should a business take-on when [email protected] accounts are filling up daily because hundreds of customers not keeping up with Windows Update?

We put in filters our WAN a few months back when everyone was feeling the wraths of the various Windows exploit of the week.  Still today, we make no exceptions to this rule.  We've even lost a few customers in the process, I'm sure.

My issue is that in most cases (minus a few exceptions, of course) service providers are bombarded with complaints from customers that a) don't know how to change the default Exchange ports away from 135/139 or the security risk in broadcasting 135/139 to the world, b) didn't think they should have to worry about it (even as they were broadcasting from infected servers and machines on their network), or c) have a textbook MCSE, crash-course CCNA network administrator/consultant didn't really have an understanding of what was going on or how they should respond to it.  Personally, I'm beginning to feel doubt that the technology industry will be able to maintain the level of competence and respect that we all need and deserve to have.  I can't imagine what the health care industry would be like if ignorance was embraced as well as it seems to be in the technology industry.

-Adam