Re: AOL fixing Microsoft default settings

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Oct 24 23:56:50 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Stewart, William C (Bill), RTSLS wrote:
> Most ISPs don't provide users with a heavy-duty client that
> replaces or patches lots of the operating system's functions,
> though may will offer friendly customized browsers for
> users who want them, and a few misguided carriers will
> provide drivers for PPPoE or other evil excuses for protocols (:-)

Looking at the top 10 US residential ISPs (covering an estimated 60%+
of  all residential accounts), as far as I can tell all of them include
a fairly sophisticated support client.  "Expert" users may not install it,
but I suspect the bulk of the users do.

> Generally, ISPs tell you the network settings to use on Windows,
> and tell you or let you guess for other popular operating systems,
> and they may give you a friendly dialer program that
> knows how to find their nearest POP but doesn't mess around much.

There is a difference between what is done, and what is possible.
The support clients distributed by AT&T, Earthlink, UnitedOnline/Netzero,
MSN and AOL have amazing capabilties to "fix" a user's account after
the user mucks up the computer.

Microsoft has asked ISPs to make changes on its behalf, such as enabling
the XP firewall.  But is it wise for an ISP to change the settings on
a user's computer?  If Microsoft is reluctant to make the changes itself,
what problems is the ISP creating?

   a. Enable firewall
   b. Disable file/printer sharing
   c. Shut down "uncessary services" like Windows Messenger
   d. Install patches/enable auto-update
   e. Remove spyware/trojans/remote access software

And so on, through all the changes recommended by the Center for
Internet Security (http://www.cisecurity.org/)