Re: data request on Sitefinder

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Tue Oct 21 11:08:43 2003

Owen DeLong wrote:
The issues that must be addressed are the issues of internet governance,
control of the root (does Verisign serve ICANN or vice-versa), and
finally, whether the .com/.net zones belong to the public trust or to
Verisign.  Focusing on the technical is to fiddle while Rome burns.

This is the part that drives me nuts. Unless a court ordered it otherwise, the root servers can designate ANYONE as the registry for a tld. My understanding is that the process for making such changes is lengthy and involves the agreement of 3 different organizations. However, on a technical level, such changes are possible, and such a registry can form agreements with ICANN and the various registrars.

I'm suddenly reminded of .org...

-Jack