Re: Tomatoes for Verisign at NANOG 29

  • From: Kenny Sallee
  • Date: Fri Oct 17 16:07:12 2003

> Has anybody thought to explore the trademark
> implications of sitefinder?
>
> For example, verisign is returning A records (and
> subsequently earning
> revenue from that traffic) for say:
>
> COKE-SOFT-DRINK.COM
> TIDE-DETERGENT.COM
>
> etc..
>

>From another perspective, it could be how Verisign
plans on making money off this.  If they can redirect
to their own Site Finder site, I'm sure they can
redirect to other large corporations, who would
probably pay for that kind of service.  Buy this
service, user types www.coke-soft-drink.com, and gets
redirected automatically to www.coke.com.
Corporations now have a much broader reach then
yesterday.  They'd make a deal on the trademark thing,
if there is one.

Kenny