Re: Fascinating interview with Verisign CEO

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Fri Oct 17 11:44:53 2003

At 01:17 AM 10/17/2003, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

http://news.com.com/2008-7347-5092590.html
"Sclavos also says it's time to transfer the responsibility for operating the root servers from volunteers to the commercial sector. "

No, it's time for ICANN to transfer the responsibility for operating the root servers away from a commercial company that is trying to profit off of this *public trust*, and entrust the responsibility to an entity that understands its rights and responsibilities on this matter. Verisign has clearly demonstrated that they DO NOT UNDERSTAND that the data in the root server is not theirs to use, change at will, or profit on.

When will ICANN demonstrate that they understand their responsibility to the Internet users who have entrusted them to manage these public resources and do their job to stop Verisign's power grab over these public records? Do we have to recall ICANN now?

jc - in California, where we will now have Governor Arnold because Governor Gray couldn't get his head wrapped around the idea that he was *entrusted* to run the state in a responsible manner.