Re: Fascinating interview with Verisign CEO

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Fri Oct 17 07:10:59 2003

--On Friday, October 17, 2003 11:02 AM +0100 Andrew Bangs <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, but, part of what pissed off many folk was that someone was
messing about with data near the top of the DNS tree which they
thought were inviolable. Reconfiguring nameservers to ask for
.COM and .NET details from somewhere else or to give RCODE 3
when it wasn't what was received feels like joining the anarchy
rather than being the right solution.
It's not so much joining the anarchy for myself as it's that I'd have to start screwing with and kludging good, working production level systems into something that looks like a mona lisa with gaffer tape strapping it to the wall. It takes time to get it done, and it's just going to fall down every time you turn around. I hesitate to speak for anyone else on the list, but I'd be willing to bet that many of 'us' in the community don't have time for something like that having plates that are already much too full. VeriSign though is forcing this to happen with a unilateral decision they have no political and legal right to make.

Just my, possibly valueless, opinion.

Having said that, the right solution might be a while in coming.
A 'just good enough' solution should suffice for now.

--
Andrew Bangs   [email protected]

--
Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you