Re: Tomatoes for Verisign at NANOG 29

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Fri Oct 17 04:02:00 2003

At 01:32 PM 16-10-03 -0700, David Meyer wrote:

>> I would also suggest that we try to make contact with a second-harvest or
>> other organization that may be able to use the tomatoes afterwards.

        Or just use your time and resources to do some good for
        those who are less fortunate in the first place. Using
        food of any kind for such a display is simply
        unacceptable (and BTW, in no way funny or cute) in a
        world filled with so much hunger, poverty, and
        despair. Indeed, such an activity will reflect very
        poorly on us all, notwithstanding any issue relating to
        the DNS.
I agree with Dave. Tomatoes or any other fruit is more of a fraternity stunt. It also involves logistics. Why not have everyone stand up and turn around and face the back of the auditorium while Verisign gives its presentation (and stand quietly)? It shows your displeasure and eliminates the chance that some hothead will toss his tomato. It also creates a great photo-shoot.

Sorry I won't be there.

Regards,
Hank

        Dave