Re: Site Finder

  • From: Michael Moscovitch
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 21:36:25 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:

> Yes, I will heartily agree with this. Having this functionality be
> triggered by a wildcard in the DNS records is the wrong approach. It's
> the application that should be taking care of this
>
> if (NXDOMAIN)
>   redirect(preferences->sitefinder_host, url);

I agree that an application level solution at the edge is the best.

I like the idea of having a user configurable parameter in the client
browser to allow the ``finder'' URL to be set. The browser
``manufacturer'' would of course put their own default and the ISP would
be able to ``configure'' their own defaults and the
end user could ``change'' it to suit their preferences.

This would allow competing ``URL finder'' type services, allow ISPs to
fine tune the interface for their customers and allow end users to
customize their own interface to the ``web''.

Maybe its time for some ``finder'' API specifications,
mozilla patches, and ``finder'' reference implementations.

All of which would probably be off-topic for this forum. :)

| Michael Moscovitch                                CiteNet Telecom Inc.   |
| [email protected]                              Tel: (514) 861-5050    |