Re: [Fwd: [IP] VeriSign to revive redirect service]

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 20:52:17 2003

Paul Vixie wrote:

While I agree that handling of NXDOMAIN needs to improve, such handling must be done by the application. Popular browsers have already started ...
i think i agree with where this was going, but it would be a fine thing if
we all stop calling this NXDOMAIN.  the proper term is RCODE 3.  when you say
NXDOMAIN you sound like you've only read the BIND sources and not the RFC's.
NXDOMAIN is a BINDism, whereas RCODE 3 refers to the actual protocol element.
Sorry, Paul. I have gotten too used to seeing the BINDism on-list. You will find that most of my speach matches that of those I'm talking to. It cuts down on miscommunication and confusion. Please see fit to report me to RFC-ignorant for not using the proper RFC terminology. :)

-Jack