Re: [Fwd: [IP] VeriSign to revive redirect service]

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 19:38:00 2003

i just got done reading http://news.com.com/2008-7347_3-5092590.html,
so now at least i know why my phone was ringing so much earlier today.

anyway, [email protected] (ken emery) quotes me as saying...

> > let me just emphasize that the default is OFF.  BIND doesn't break
> > sitefinder; nameserver adminstrators break sitefinder.  be mindful of
> > that difference!

and then adds:

> Paul, you've just bought into the Verisign propaganda here.
>
> The BIND modification does NOTHING to break Sitefinder.  One can still go
> to http://sitefinder.verisign.com/ and use the web page without any
> interference from BIND.  What the latest release does is to break the
> redirection of RCODE 3 to http://sitefinder.verisign.com/.  It is just
> semantics, but there is a HUGE difference.

ken is right and i apologize for the confusion.  most of the early patches
to bind8 and djbdns that i saw were dependent on the sitefinder address, and
as such, would have enabled nameserver administrators to break _sitefinder_.
isc's patches for bind9 enable nameserver administrators to break only the
_redirection_ to sitefinder.
--
Paul Vixie