Re: [Fwd: [IP] VeriSign to revive redirect service]

  • From: ken emery
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 19:12:52 2003
On 16 Oct 2003, Paul Vixie wrote:

Good writeup Paul.

<SNIP>

> > To change this: what else can we do to prevent this?  Does the last BIND
> > version truly break sitefinder?
>
> in my last conversation with a verisign executive, i learned that there is a
> widely held misconception that the last BIND patch truly breaks sitefinder,
> and now here you go proving it.  the last BIND patch adds a feature, whose
> default is OFF, that can make non-delegation data from specified domains
> disappear (or in other cases, non-delegation data from non-specified tld's.)
> let me just emphasize that the default is OFF.  BIND doesn't break sitefinder;
> nameserver adminstrators break sitefinder.  be mindful of that difference!

Paul, you've just bought into the Verisign propaganda here.

The BIND modification does NOTHING to break Sitefinder.  One can still go to
http://sitefinder.verisign.com/ and use the web page without any interference
from BIND.  What the latest release does is to break the redirection of
RCODE 3 to http://sitefinder.verisign.com/.  It is just semantics, but
there is a HUGE difference.

Verisign can get people to start using the Sitefinder web site in any
number of ways which don't affect other applications.  These methods
have been noted here and elsewhere (web browser plugins, advertising of
the site, make it better than anything else and they will come, ...).

Verisign's Sitefinder is NOT a TLD web site but they are trying to
make it one.

bye,
ken emery

p.s. I just went to sitefinder.verisign.com and it took forever to load.
I assume that loads are down on this service so I can't understand why
it would take so long to load the page.  If this is the type of service
Verisign is going to offer they will surely be inviting workarounds
solely becuase things suck.