Re: Site Finder

  • From: Wayne E. Bouchard
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 13:31:30 2003

Yes, I will heartily agree with this. Having this functionality be
triggered by a wildcard in the DNS records is the wrong approach. It's
the application that should be taking care of this

if (NXDOMAIN)
  redirect(preferences->sitefinder_host, url);

If verisigin wants to partner with someone to actually host the
sitefinder site but have some switch integrated into like
IE/Netscape/whatever to use that site, I have no problem with this. It
becomes a choice of the individual user to use it and the rest of us
don't get screwed by something we have no control over.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:07:53PM +0100, Ray Bellis wrote:

> Quoting Rusty Lewis from
> http://verisign.com/corporate/news/2003/pr_20031007b.html?sl=070804
>
> "We will continue to take feedback from both Internet users and the
> technical community on how we can ensure that the service is available
> for the many Internet users who clearly like it."
>
> Well that's very simple Rusty - stop screwing around with *our* DNS and
> write a plugin for IE to catch NXDOMAIN, just like the Google toolbar
> does.
>
> That'll allow 90% of the browsing population a *choice*, something the
> wildcard clearly does not.
>
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray Bellis, MA(Oxon) - Technical Director
> community internet plc - ts.com Ltd
>
> Windsor House, 12 High Street, Kidlington, Oxford, OX5 2PJ
> tel:  +44 1865 856000   email: [email protected]
> fax:  +44 1865 856001     web: http://www.community.net.uk/

---
Wayne Bouchard
[email protected]