Re: Verisign to sell Network Solutions

  • From: just me
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 13:18:35 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 [email protected] wrote:

  > So...correct me if I'm wrong here...does this mean that the
  > registry services operations and the GTLD maintenance operations
  > for .com/.net will be owned by different companies?

  Yep.

Uh, actually, no. They're spinning off the registRAR operations. The
registRY functions will still be retained by them.

  And it means that Verisign business is no longer
  based so much on serving customers but more on leveraging
  various monopoly rights that they have such as ownership
  of .com and ownership of the main root CAs whose
  certificates are bundled with Microsoft's OS.

Wow. That sure seems to be a different scenario than we see today.

  [ yadda yadda yadda... ]

matto

[email protected]<darwin><
   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>