Re: Pitfalls of annoucing /24s

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 12:52:03 2003

Hello;

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 11:57 PM, Forrest wrote:

True enough, but are there any providers currently that filter /24's from
the old Class C space that /24's were assigned directly from?

As someone who is multihomed but uses others /24's, I am sensitive to
this.

I do not _think_ that any major provider filters on /24's now - but it's
fairly common to filter on /25 and longer.

I realize that if proposal 2002-3 does get passed but everyone filters
those prefixes then it will be a completely worthless proposal, and even
worse than using PA space.

I had good luck contacting the ISP's that were filtering and asking them
nicely not to. I think that providers will mostly follow ARIN's lead.

It seems to me that proposal 2002-3 could enable providers to filter more
efficiently however. They could accept the long prefixes out of the
micro-assignment block, while filtering out all the garbage /24's in the
other space caused by people needlessly announcing every /24 out of their
large aggregate.

I would agree.

Forrest

Regards