Re: Verisign is selling Netsol [was Re: more on VeriSign to reviveredirect service]

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 12:46:06 2003

The back end DNS is the registry service. What you are saying they are
doing is selling the REGISTRAR business and keeping the REGISTRY.
Or did I miss something?

Owen

--On Thursday, October 16, 2003 10:46 AM -0400 Kee Hinckley <[email protected]> wrote:

At 3:18 PM +0100 10/16/03, [email protected] wrote:
 > Just out of curiousity, I wonder how many domain registrations those
 > of
us
on nanog represent?  Contract sanctions from ICANN are one thing, taking
all of our business elsewhere might also be effective at getting a point
across (though it might also backfire - pushing Verisign to be even more
agressive at taking advantage of their positioning).
There are alternative suppliers for registering domain names and
SSL certs. Look here http://referrals.tucows.com/
for registrars that are alternatives to Verisign for .com and .net.
This point just became moot.
Versign is selling the registry business.  Network Solutions is being
spun off.  They retain the back end DNS.

http://www.verisign.com/corporate/news/2003/pr_20031016.html?sl=070805
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to
regulate everyone else's.