Re: more on VeriSign to revive redirect service

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 10:28:56 2003

>Just out of curiousity, I wonder how many domain registrations those of
us
>on nanog represent?  Contract sanctions from ICANN are one thing, taking
>all of our business elsewhere might also be effective at getting a point
>across (though it might also backfire - pushing Verisign to be even more
>agressive at taking advantage of their positioning).

There are alternative suppliers for registering domain names and
SSL certs. Look here http://referrals.tucows.com/
for registrars that are alternatives to Verisign for .com and .net.
Also, give your customers information about the .biz, .info and .us
domains and ask them if they would choose those rather than .com.
An awful lot of people want .com because they really don't know
anything about the alternatives. In this day and age, people don't
guess URLs anymore by sticking .com at the end of a word so there
is no longer any advantage to using a .com domain name over a .biz
or .info or .us. People learn about domain names from advertising
or by clicking a link on a web page. In both cases .biz, .info and
.us work just as well.

And don't forget to hire away all the best people from Verisign to
cripple their ability to execute effectively. If they are willing
to hurt your business for their own profit, then why shouldn't you
hurt their business for your profit?

Remember, there is nothing inherent in Verisign's products that
makes them better than the competing alternatives. Their only
advantage is that their products were there first so people have
formed the habit of buying from them without thinking.

--Michael Dillon