Re: possible ORG problems, maybe?

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 08:35:08 2003

Randy Bush wrote:

> and what assurance do you have that the traceroute is to the same
> server to which the original query failed?
>
> difficulty debugging anycast dns was the major reason for sceptisim
> re anycast auth servers.

You're right, Randy. However, things are never black or white.  In a
non-anycast implementation, a typical failure like this would not
immediately tell which of the masters or slaves was at fault, if any.
The application would just fail. When troubleshooting began, there is no
guarantee which slave was queried originally.

However as the dns was walked, if indeed a server had a problem, in a
non-anycast implementation you could tell which server ip address had
the problem. But you could not always tell which actual machine had a
problem if it was behind a load balancer of any kind, something
increasingly common in large installations.

Anycast is no different.

Notwithstanding all of this, it would appear that given the large scale
ddos attacks against networks, and dns in particular over the last year,
an anycast implementation is the *only* way that dns has a chance of
surviving. So hopefully you'll be involved actively and positively in
the dns WG in developing some BCPs and standards for operating anycast
implementations for anycast, rather than dismissing anycast out-of-hand.

In terms of UltraDNS, we try to make it easier by having the following
two records on every server:

dig @[UltraDNS Anycast name or ip address] whoareyou.ultradns.net A
and
dig @[UltraDNS Anycast name or ip address] whoami.ultradns.net A

where whoareyou.ultradns.net provides the unique ip address of the
machine being queried, and whoami.ultradns.net provides the ip address
of the machine doing the querying (so that a user querying a recursive
server can identify which recursive server is actually querying the
UltraDNS server).

Dan Senie has suggest the inclusion of a TXT record with teh same data
so that the actual ip address of the actual server that responded to the
query that had a problem was available. Certainly more standardized and
elegant, but a subject for the WG mailing lists.

I believe that there is an anycast tutorial or session in Chicago, if
anyone wants to weigh in.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.