Re: Extreme BlackDiamond

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Oct 13 18:19:27 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:10:32PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I don't understand how you can differentiate between a router and an L3
> > switch. In my view "L3 switch" is a marketing term. All high end boxes
> > do hardware based IP forwarding, whether their ancestry is from the L2
> > or the L3 side.
>
> To me something that uses hardware assist, setup by the cpu per
> destination, is an L3 Switch. Something that does equal route lookups per
> packet all the time is a router.

So a 7500 with a fast cache is a L3 switch? :)

The closest definition you'll get to an L3 switch is a box which does
primarily or only Ethernet, can easily become an L2 ethernet switch again
with different software, and uses software hacks on a normal ethernet CAM
to do forwarding lookups. Other than that, it's just generalizations and
stereotypes. Oh and of course, marketing.