Re: Extreme BlackDiamond

  • From: Jason LeBlanc
  • Date: Mon Oct 13 18:11:45 2003

75xx/GSR, dCEF? 75xx/GSR are L3 switches then. ;) Not to add flame-bait, but..

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/switch_c/xcprt2/xcdcef.htm

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 [email protected] wrote:

I don't understand how you can differentiate between a router and an L3
switch. In my view "L3 switch" is a marketing term. All high end boxes
do hardware based IP forwarding, whether their ancestry is from the L2
or the L3 side.

To me something that uses hardware assist, setup by the cpu per destination, is an L3 Switch. Something that does equal route lookups per packet all the time is a router.