Re: Extreme BlackDiamond

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Mon Oct 13 17:06:34 2003

At 04:43 PM 10/13/2003, [email protected] wrote:

> 7600 is also vertical boards whereas the 6500 is horizontal.

Yep, I think from now on, we should make this a primary distinction
between switch and a router: If a device has vertical line cards, it is a
router, if horizontal, it is a switch.

Works well for 7500/12000/5x00/6500. ;)
A small problem... all of my 7200s have horizontal line cards as do the Juniper M5/7/10/20. The smaller 7100, 3700, 3600, 2600 also have horizontal line cards too. So... here is a correction.

"From now on, we should make this a primary distinction between switch and a router: If a device has vertical line cards, it is a router, if horizontal, it is a switch, unless there are two or more vertical slots within any horizontal slot plane, then it is, in fact, a router."

How does that sound?

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." - Francis Jeffrey