Re: AOL mail server problems?

  • From: Brian Bruns
  • Date: Sun Oct 12 14:30:53 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: "Brian Bruns" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: AOL mail server problems?

> They're probably blocking you.  Have you gotten many scomp complaints
> recently?...perhaps a big backlog of them that you/your abuse people
> haven't dealt with?  Last time I dealt with AOL blocking us, that was the
> cause, and the result was mixed.  Sometimes we'd get the connection closed
> as above, sometimes a 550 message telling us we were blocked.

Well, just to be absolutely sure, I checked the forwardings for [email protected],
[email protected], and a few others, all of which go to [email protected]  I
haven't seen any mail from AOL support/abuse/tech/whatever to us (nor has
any of the other admins).  We are a very small and close nit group with very
few actual users - stuff like spam, viruses, and mailbombs get noticed
really quickly (we all have pagers/cell phones which get a message whenever
the system detects something unusual going on).

What I was discussing with someone offlist was that AOL has apparently been
threatning to disallow connections from dynamic IPs for a while now, and
they apparently are starting to follow through with it.  Although my IP
looks like a dynamic IP, its a static IP out of a block of /29 (do a whois
on 68.78.10.168 and you'll see it belongs to Nathan Drook, one of the people
here).

This is one of those reasons why I hate DUL lists with a passion.  Its not
foolproof, and alot of smaller sites get nailed in this mess.

Of course, AOL offers up no way of correcting these listings on their site,
the postmaster site of theirs, or via the mail daemon itself.

Whats very interesting is that the mail finally does go through after
rotating a few dozen times between different MX hosts.   Whats even more
interesting is that when the mail did go through, it went through to an IP
which blocked it several times before.  I have no idea if its just because
not all of their servers are properly updated yet or not.  Who knows.

*shrug*

Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.sosdg.org
ICQ: 8077511