Re: internet consumers forum?

  • From: Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Date: Sat Oct 11 15:08:32 2003

[email protected] wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:06:22 EDT, Richard Welty <[email protected]>  said:
>
> > i've sent some time (at least 20 minutes) considering that while there are
> > forums for operators and engineers to discuss issues (nanog, ietf, others
> > too numerous to mention), there aren't really forums for informed consumers
> > of internet services to exchange notes (or for uninformed consumers to
> > become informed.)
>
> There used to be Usenet, but then the spammers found it.
>
> Remember that Nanog probably has *significant* market penetration - I'll hazard
> a guess that at least 40-50% of the service providers in the US have at least one
> person lurking here.  Now consider the number of consumers of network services
> in the US, and estimate what a 1% market penetration would be.
>
> Ask yourself:  How do I keep spammers out of a group that size?  And if I don't
> reach that size, what good am I really doing?

Ask yourself (in addition):

How is this useful to business users?

  I would think that either businesses are small enough that they depend
  on someone else for information of this sort, or large enough that they
  have multiple listening presences on NANOG.

What is a business user?

  Spammers, after all, are a business. Do you mean them? MSN is a business.
  Do you mean them? Am I a business (you don't know the answer to that,
  trust me)? Do I represent one (you don't know the answer to that one,
  either)?

Outside of a gripe list, what purpose(s) will this server?

  There used to be *.advocacy.* groups, alt.fan.* groups, *.discuss groups,
  all on usenet (as Valdis has already pointed out). They were all nice
  for letting off steam, but they were never really useful in any
meaningful
  way. If this is just a place where you can discuss things that are not
  really on charter for NANOG, it seems like there are already a bunch of
  places to do that.

Personally, I don't see that there's a raging desire by the consumers of
packets to find some place to talk outside of the places already there. It
sounds like you have a solution looking for a problem. There is no such
thing as "informed consumers of internet services," at least not in any
reality I inhabit. YMMV, HTH, HAND.

USENET: *sob* I miss usenet. :-(

--
When you wish to instruct be brief -- so that people's minds
can quickly grasp what you have to say, understand your point,