RE: Block all servers?

  • From: Christopher Bird
  • Date: Fri Oct 10 21:23:12 2003

I know they CAN, but the issue is do they have the mechanisms and
operational capabilities of actually doing so? I would like to see my
cable provider making it hard to do some of the things I do. Not because
I should not be doing them, but those same holes that I exploit
(hopefully in a benign fashion) can be used with malicious intent.

By saying, "If you want to use our service then you must deply this kind
of modem/router" at least makes their insistence explicit. Currently
there is more arm waving than actual adherence to security policy. Thus
we have many poorly configured Windows boxes accessing the internet (and
the WWW) in manners which are to the detriment of everyone else.