RE: Block all servers?

  • From: Christopher Bird
  • Date: Fri Oct 10 08:58:21 2003

I agree that Michael is "right on". The social, psychological and
financial issues are in many ways more tricky than the technical issus.
However, I think there are ways to help.

But first some history....

When I signed up for Cable broadband access several years ago, I was
told, "And of course you must not put a router on the network." The of
course was a surprise to me. That immediately meant (at least to me)
that I was going to be exposed to anything that came wandering past my
(dynamically assigned) IP address. Of course I put a router in place.
Was it something really good? No, it was what I could afford. A Linksys
broadband router. Was it misconfigured? Probably - I am after all an
applications guy not a solid network engineer. Did I get it checked out
by the network guys at work? You betcha. Have I eliminated all risk? No.
Have I eliminated "affordable risk?" yes. Since then I have created a
DMZ at home (again not necessarily the most solid in the world), but at
least it has the following effects:

My VOIP telephone line is directly in to the DMZ - that just saves a
hop.
My in home wireless network is just that - in home. The NAT router that
protects it has everything I can think of disabled.
I have access to a couple of servers when I am traveling (both in the
DMZ) so that I can access important files and test development web
sites. There is in theory no public access. In practive, of course it is
wide open - that's why we have DMZs

I also have personal firewalls on all computers whether they travel or
not. Why? Because I want to block outbound activities. I rarely see
anything inbound that is blocked, but I do like the ability of my PFWs
to detect outbound activities and make me confirm/deny access. That is
just good hygeine. Oh btw that firewall monitors inbound email too, so
it becomes a first level virus protector. Real virus protection kicks in
behind that.

Now what could the broadband providers do:

First off, they could incorporate NAT into the DOCSIS or other compliant
cable modems/DSL Modems. Make sure that the NAT router is configured so
that incoming ports are all blocked. Yes that makes it hard for gaming,
so there needs to be an extra capability so that gamers have to
explicitly (at a fee?) get the features opened. That is only a start of
course, because as soon as you do that then there are going to be
vulnerabilities. However, the likelihood of infection/spewing of packets
is reduced somewhat.

Second, in the acceptable use policy for high speed connections, require
a "licence" of some kind. We have licenses/permits for our cars, our
dogs, our burglar alarms, for going fishing,..... Why not for broadband.
Actually I can see many reasons both to do it and not to do it, so this
is clearly an area where debate is reasonable.

Third monitor the bandwidth used (ratios on inbound/outbound) for
example. Actual numbers might be better. For example, at my DMZ router,
it reports the following this morning:

Up time 23:50 (just less than 1 day)
Bytes TX 40,612,318
Bytes RX 370,212,922

These numbers are surprisingly large. However I do run Groove at home
and a lot of data is shared with people all over the world, so the TX
isn't terribly surprising. The RX is monstrous though.

Next stat since power on, the DMZ router has recognized 513 alerts -
mostly ping requests from other Comcast users. Now that would be an
interesting set of cluse if Comcast itself were able to do anything
about it. Lots of Pings (against home machines) are usually indicative
of some kind of problem (yeah, preaching to the choir, I know), so in
this combined modem/router, I could envisage some stats gathering and
reporting on usage - especially things that are somewhat suspicious. Of
course the line is fine between privacy, acceptable use, and risk. The
whole approach does need to be thought through pretty carefully.

I now spend time talking with friends, local groups (Church, city or
whatever) describing the risks. Some people even act on them. Some
people ask for help cleaning up their home systems - especially to
remove pop-ups, improve spam handling and keep porn away from the kids.
What they often don't realize is that the actions they have taken
(downloading gator or hotbar) have caused precisely the effects that
they are trying to guard against. So much of my time spent delousing is
running the cleanup tools (ad-aware, pest patrol, taskinfo to see what's
running), enabling firewalls, recommending that people buy firewalls,
instilling a "use the grc tools" discipline and generally doing what I
can to keep the computers relatively clean. At approximately 3 hours per
computer, I am not making as much headway as I would like!

We therefoe have got to encourage the industry (especially the
responsible leading players) to have things configured by default to
make life safe. Then unsafe behavior becomes a choice rather than a
default.

Sorry for the length of this rant, but I wanted to point out that there
are responsible things happening but more is needed on the part of
vendors.

Remember that what most people seem to want is a gourmet meal with the
ease of a TV dinner! So superb service with no effort. That is not going
to change, so make it hard to do bad things and easy to do good things
and (maybe) we are on the right road.

Thanks for your patience (if you got this far!)

Chris

Michael Dillon said.....