Re: Finding ASN from IP address

  • From: Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)
  • Date: Fri Oct 10 04:54:41 2003

Avleen,

> I want to create a mapping of IP addresses to ASN, for a specific like
> of IP addresses. Eg:
>   1.2.3.4
>   12.34.56.78
>
> etc, gathered from my system logs.
>
> What is the best way of doing this?
>
> I thought about something along the lines of:
>   install routing software (zebra?)
>   pass software the IP's, get it to spit back a string from which I can
>     grab the ASN

Starting from the routing table is indeed the best approach.  We recently
studied this problem and found that an approach based on whois queries to
an IRR only returns the correct result in ~80% of the cases, whereas using
routing tables returns the correct result in ~99% of the cases. See:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-46/presentations/ripe46-tt-as-traceroutes.pdf

for more details. We're expanding the software used for this study into a
public service right now and hope to announce this to the public shortly.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: [email protected]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)