Re: Sitefinder and DDoS

  • From: Bruce Campbell
  • Date: Fri Oct 10 03:44:10 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> At 10:41 PM +0300 10/9/03, Petri Helenius wrote:
> >With $100M annual revenue at stake, I would be willing to provide
> >distributed solutions
> >to this problem if you send me a reasonable fraction of that money.
>
> But can you do it without breaking the assumption that any lookup on
> *.TLD will always return the same value as badxxxdomain.TLD?

Well, the problem space is that a wildcard is involved.  Since 1034
indicates that the answer for '*.something' is the same as
'otherwise-unmatched.something', I think this assumption is fairly safe.

The assumption is not safe if the authoritative nameservers for the
underlying zone are not performing according to the DNS specs; ie, they
have synthesised answers that are not from a wildcard (which can be
queried).

--==--
Bruce.