Re: History of unannounced changes to the DNS core

  • From: Brian Bruns
  • Date: Thu Oct 09 03:20:07 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Donelan" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 1:48 AM
Subject: History of unannounced changes to the DNS core

>   People trying to visit the popular Internic directory which checks
>   the availability of a new Web address are unexpectedly being swept
>   automatically instead to the home page for Network Solutions Inc., which
>   offers to register Internet addresses with the com, net or org suffixes
>   for $119.
> - Associated Press, March 24 1999

*raises his hand and shakes it wildly* oh oh oh! me me me!

I remember this incident.  I talked about it slightly in my SiteFinder
paper.

Network Solutions, in this classic move, decided, "What the hell do we need
Internic for!  Why not just send people to our site to force them to go
through our bullshit to do even the most simple things!  Lets not let them
get access to the control forms for their domains except through a pointless
looping process that makes no sense whatsoever.  Oh. lets not forget to
extort as much money from people as we can!"

Oh, don't you love it?  Its history repeating itself.