Re: News coverage, Verisign etc.

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Oct 08 16:58:20 2003

From "Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, Fifth Edition":
malfeasance / mal'fi:z(schwa)ns/ noun. L17.
[Anglo-Noramn malfaisance, from mal- MAL- + Old & mod. French
faisance: see FEASANcE. Cf. MISFEASANCE]
LAW. Evildoing, illegal action; an illegal act; spec. official
misconduct by a public servant.

I would argue that since Verisign took this action unilaterally in
violation of their contract to administer the REGISTRY function and
without the approval or consent of the community, this definition could
apply to their actions.

I would further argue that since Verisign declined ICANN's polite
request to cease and desist, they deliberately and willfully conducted
themselves in a manner known to be contrary to that public trust.
If that does not meet this definition, I do not know what would.

Owen