Re: Verisign on Process

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Wed Oct 08 15:06:12 2003

At 2:51 PM -0400 10/8/03, Dean Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

 >VeriSign's vice president for its registry service. Citing concerns
 >of proprietary information and competitive advantage, he added that
 >he didn't think he could guarantee any advance notice of similar
 >changes in the future.

 Gomes' position truly bothers me if a registry, given that it meets
 the formal definition of a technical monopoly, is planning around
 competitive advantage.
This is incorrect. Verisign is not a monopoly. There are many registrars
of .net and .com domain names which compete with Verisign.

		--Dean
It is not a monopoly in its regiSTRAR function.

It is a monopoly as regiSTRY of .net and .com. It couldn't have inserted the wildcards if it wasn't. Having control of the TLD servers makes you a monopoly for that TLD.