Re: Verisign's public opinion play

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Tue Oct 07 11:02:15 2003

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> At 10:27 AM +0100 10/7/03, [email protected] wrote:
> >And this list is definitely not the place to
> >discuss writing a letter of protest. If political
> >activity is your bag, then try http://www.meetup.com

Mr. Dillon forgets that all inter-human activity, including operational
coordination, is a "political" activity.

Individual responses are less likely to garner attention than organized
pamphlets on organizing.

> Writing a "constructed" response, I would agree, should either come
> through an already existing group (e.g., IETF/IAB), or from an ad hoc
> organization, which, in this context, MUST have a truly open process.

The IETF and NANOG were both originally designed as "ad hoc", "come
and participate", organizations.  The Internet itself could be
considered an "ad hoc" organization.  I don't see the need for another
such organization at this time and place.

> That being said, writing something, even as an individual, which
> strikes the interest of news media is not necessarily a skill
> everyone here has. I do have some background in this, and would be
> happy to work with a team, and with individuals to the extent my time
> permits.

I have some background in this as well, going back to organizing for
the original NSFnet funding, and would be willing to assist Mr.
Berkowitz in this endeavor.

> I hope to get to at least part of the ICANN meeting
We need a raporteur to inform us how the ICANN meeting goes.  Please?
--
William Allen Simpson