Re: VeriSign list (was: sitefinder ...)

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Tue Oct 07 09:50:17 2003

At 9:27 AM -0400 10/7/03, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Mark Kosters wrote:
 In the interest in gaining more community review and comment, a discussion
 list has been setup to discuss factually-based technical issues
 and solutions surrounding the operational impact of wildcards in
 top-level domains on Internet applications.

We already have such mailing lists.

 1) for technical "specification of message formats, message handling,
    and data formats used for DNS client-server and server-server
    communication": http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/

    A lively moderated discussion of wildcards is already underway.

 2) for "[i]ssues surrounding the operation of DNS, recommendations
    concerning the configuration of DNS servers, and other issues with
    the use of the protocol": http://ops.ietf.org/lists/ops-area/

 VeriSign technical people will participate in discussions that are within
 the scope for this mailing list.

VeriSign technical people should have participated elsewhere, and this
mess might have been less likely to occur.

I will not participate in a VeriSign sponsored list, as that might
give fodder for another "press release" claiming network operators and
designers had reviewed and approved the VeriSign changes.  I recommend
that others only join neutral unaffiliated discussion lists.
Judging by my troubles in signing up for it -- and, sort of as a matter of crochety pride, I am NOT going to go through a browser to sign up for a mailing list (at least run by people who ought to know better about email but seem to assume the World is the Web), the list may become moot.

I thought I was on namedroppers, but I haven't seen a message in a long time and will make a point of resubscribing.