Re: Verisign's public opinion play

  • From: william
  • Date: Tue Oct 07 00:37:56 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> The one that pisses me off more is
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-5087139.html?tag=nefd_top
"Lewis said the company needs to make money from new services such as
SiteFinder, or it will not be able to protect the Net's critical
infrastructure. He cited a hacker's attack on the domain name system last
year, in which VeriSign servers remained relatively unscathed--largely
because of the 'substantial amount of capital we've had to invest,' he said."

I propose we make it easier for everyone and first of all Verisign and
relocate "Net's critical infrastrastructure" away from Verisign and let
others who have shown to be just as good at handling these complex issues
without compromising "Net's critical infrastructure" in order to promote
its own commercial goals.

P.S. Blood pressure medicine is not enough, after reading these two
articles from CNET, I'm now sick to my stomach... Are we really going
to let Verisign play this corporate interest misinformation compaign in
the media like that? I don't want the rest of the net ending up like
netscape (corporation, not the browser software), especially considering
such a clear parallels between Verisign and Microsoft.