Re: Security v. Privacy (was Re: Is there anything that actuallygetsusers to fix their computers?)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Oct 05 18:38:29 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Jamie Reid wrote:
> While we were fighting blaster/nachi and others, we relied heavily on
> IDS's to generate alerts for the worms, then we disabled their network
> access and called them.  Generic  viruses are not an ISP's problem, but
> a worm is something that affects the prviders infrastructure, and is
> therefore a network operators business.

Did the users actually believe you when you told them their computer
had a worm?

How many times did you disable the same user's network access because
they didn't actually fix their computer but told you it was fixed?

But I have a really important document that has to be sent right now, and
I can't wait to fix the computer.