Re: Removal of wildcard A records from .com and .net zones

  • From: Mark Vallar
  • Date: Sat Oct 04 09:37:20 2003

Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Matt Levine wrote:
> > So now you care about giving notice the community?  That didn't seem
> > high on your priority list when you implemented it.
>
> The "community" I suspect that they are sensitive about is not NANOG etc.
> but the advertisers and the shareholders.
>
> Remember, Verisign is the effective monopigly (sic) issuer of certificates
> and the monopoly controller of the largest TLD. Their long term financial
> and political power is dependent on these - legitimate or corrupt
> applications aside. Having any external body (even a semi-legitimate one
> like ICANN) interfere will result in some real fallout for the power
> mongers...
>
> Peter

Nah....this has nothing to do with money ;-)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14818-2003Sep28.html

"We have not done anything to impact the stability or the security of the
Internet," said Stratton D. Sclavos, chief executive of Mountain View,
Calif.-based VeriSign. He said many technical criticisms are based on
misconceptions about the service, which he contended complies with all
existing Internet standards.

"We're in the business of innovation to generate new services that our
customers want and to generate new revenue streams," he added.

And which "customers" would those be??

-mval