Re: Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 10:22:31 2003

John Renwick wrote:
You've put your finger on it.  ISPs have to help users understand that their
machines are broken in a way that makes them unable to gain access to the
Internet -- then most will take them to the shop PDQ, and hopefully get them
back with some protection installed.

While suspending service is a harsh step, sometimes it is required to get the user's attention. More than that, and as explained to my customers, their service was interrupted because their computer was insecure. The level of that insecurity is unknown by us and we try to protect our users. After all, does the user just have Virus X, or do they have Virus Y which includes a keylogger?

My customers are learning what keyloggers are and what viruses are capable of. Wouldn't you want to know that your bank details can be learned despite the SECURE connection to your bank because a virus placed a keylogger on your computer? It's true. It scares them. Then again, they should be scared. Insecure systems are nothing to joke about. They can cause real damage.

-Jack