RE: Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?

  • From: John Renwick
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 08:39:00 2003

Sean,

> Ok, not everyone is a computer expert.  If their TV, VCR or car started
> belching smoke and flames, and they didn't know how to fix it, what would
> they do?  Take it to a repair shop?  If you get a flat tire, pull off to
> the side of the road and either repair the tire or call the auto club for
> help.  You don't continue drive down the highway on the tire rims hoping
> the noise and sparks will just go away.

You've put your finger on it.  ISPs have to help users understand that their
machines are broken in a way that makes them unable to gain access to the
Internet -- then most will take them to the shop PDQ, and hopefully get them
back with some protection installed.

Recently my ISP, Time-Warner Roadrunner sent me a letter (in the mail!)
informing me that portscans were coming from my cable modem, and asking me
to respond to them within 48 hours to tell them what action I had taken.  I
took care of it, and complimented rr.mn.com on their service in telling me
about the problem.

I don't know what RR's next step would have been had I not acted, but I hope
they would have suspended my service promptly.  That may seem harsh to some
users, but they have to realize it when their machines are broken in a way
that may not be obvious to them as users, just as, in some states, people
are
forced by law to spend real money to clean up auto emissions.  The resulting
widespread outrage might eventually result in better computer software.
Over
the last 30 years or so, new-car reliability has improved dramatically for a
similar reason.

My opinion only, not my employer's.

--
John Renwick