Re: Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 04:53:39 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Erik-Jan Bos wrote:
> I doubt this. Recently, I worked with a couple of people that each had
> their PCs infected. Their own virtual neighborhood complained to them,
> and they surely were embaressed about the situation, but... They just
> did not know how to fix it, i.e. where to start. Call it cluelessness,
> call it lack of education.

Newspapers have published How-To instructions. In the US, even USA Today
published How-To instructions. The USA Today newspaper is known as
McPaper for a reason. ISPs  sent out step-by-step directions, complete
with pictures and screen shots.  In addition to full-page newspaper ads
Microsoft has an easy 3-steps to protect your computer.

Ok, not everyone is a computer expert.  If their TV, VCR or car started
belching smoke and flames, and they didn't know how to fix it, what would
they do?  Take it to a repair shop?  If you get a flat tire, pull off to
the side of the road and either repair the tire or call the auto club for
help.  You don't continue drive down the highway on the tire rims hoping
the noise and sparks will just go away.