Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 04:14:24 2003

Short of turning off their network access, why won't users fix
their computers when the computer is infected or needs a patch?

The University of Massachusetts posted bulletins, sent an email to
all incoming students, included an alert when they connected.
Nevertheless, almost three months after Microsoft released the
critical patch and almost two months after the first Blaster worm
was released over 1,600 students failed to patched their computers.

Eventually, the University started shutting off network access for the
students and charging $3 for the CD with the patch and $25/hour for
support to clean the student's computers.

http://www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/10/03/3f7cfeb12c8c2
  "Some students told the staff that they thought the University gave
  their systems a virus. "By no means was this a UMass internet problem,"
  said Fairey. "People were probably infected before they got to campus."
  One student threatened to sue OIT, arguing that the offices did not
  have the right to turn off her port. "We have policies that clearly
  state our right to shut off systems," mentioned Fairey. "It's not
  something that we want to do. It's a nightmare."