PING monitoring (was Re: ICMP Blocking Woes)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 03:56:55 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
> It does raise the question of whether ICMP Echo is a good mechanism for
> monitoring systems that are across third party networks.
>
> I personally think that filtering ICMP is becoming less useful and you
> would get better results using other probe methods eg SYN/RST as
> deployed by numerous port scanning tools eg nmap

The problems of PING monitoring have been around for a long time.
SRI-NIC.ARPA had to block PING in 1987 because so many sites kept
pinging the NIC, it was causing problems.  I recall, but can't find,
in the old ARPANET a memo about the problem of people pinging the
IMP gateways.

The advantage of using PING is the site can block or rate-limit PING
without effecting their "real" services.  Using SYN/RST is a higher
overhead probe, leaving the host with fewer alternatives when the
"monitoring" packets causes problems with the other services.

Most high visibility sites, like the Root Servers, Yahoo, Google, CNN,
BBC, Whitehouse.Gov, etc are under almost constant "attack" from people
monitoring their reachability.  Almost no third-party monitors ask
permission to engage in the constant pinging/monitoring of the sites.
The Department of Defense used to report every PING or Traceroute attempt
as an "attack" on their networks.  It was great for generating huge
numbers for Congress when asking for more money, but is it really a
usefull measurement.

PING is a useful tool.  But if the target host blocks ping, it probably
shouldn't be considered an invitation to "monitor" the site with more
intrusive methods.  On the other hand, if ISPs had zero tolorance policies
and enforced every term of their AUP in every instance, virtually every
network tool and network engineer would be considered network abuse.