Re: Alternative Satellite news feed needed

  • From: Gerald
  • Date: Thu Oct 02 15:40:08 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Robert Boyle wrote:

> Something about a DS3 of bandwidth for an ihave
> news feed for $350-500/month was mentioned

At the last company I worked for, I replaced our terrestrial news feeds
with Cidera. The first flyer we received from them they were called
Skycache, but they changed their name by the time we got to contract to
Cidera. (Should have been my first warning?)

Only complaints I had about their service before I left were they
wouldn't offer a filter before transmission service. It would have cut
down on the transmit load and saved some time for my news server if they
were filtering before it got to me.

They were also slow in giving us the information to have a terrestrial
backup, but eventually we got the backup information and it helped fill in
a few more gaps.

It was extremely nice to take the NNTP load off of our upstream links when
we first set it up. As I understood it, they were not doing well on binary
feeds towards the end there though.

Few people have found a profitable model for doing NNTP services.
Useful stuff is on groups.google.com. Most anything else is illegal in the
U.S.

I used to get a kick out of watching our newsgroups usage statistics. Any
recommendations for someone I can outsource NNTP services to off list
would be appreciated. It's one option I am looking at for my current
company.

Gerald