Internet privacy

  • From: Allen McRay
  • Date: Wed Oct 01 20:19:14 2003

Apologies if this is off-topic.  No chance of it ever happening, correct?
=;]

Allen

Dear Network Solutions(R) Customer,

Did you know that current rules require all domain name service providers
to list the information you provide when you register a domain name in a
public database known as WHOIS?

To help you protect your personal information and online investment, I want
to let you know that Network Solutions is campaigning for stronger privacy
protection in the domain name industry. As part of this effort, we have
developed a new site, www.InternetPrivacyAdvocate.org, which outlines the
steps we are taking to protect your personal data. The site also offers
helpful
tips for what you can do to keep your private data even more secure.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is the
non-profit corporation responsible for oversight of domain name
registrations
and for accrediting domain name service providers. As an ICANN-accredited
registrar, we are also required to request that our customers verify, and if
necessary, update their WHOIS contact information. Customers are responsible
for ensuring this information is current, and ICANN mandates that outdated
contact information can be grounds for domain name cancellation.

View the WHOIS information for the domain name(s) you have registered with
Network Solutions, and if necessary, update your information. To help
protect
your privacy, we have added enhanced capabilities, which allow you to select
the
Administrative and Technical contact information you would like listed in
WHOIS
through your Network Solutions account.

To learn how to assign WHOIS contact information and about other actions you
can take to protect your personal information today, visit
www.InternetPrivacyAdvocate.org.

Sincerely,

Brian Cute
Policy Director