Re: what happened to ARIN tonight ?

  • From: James Cowie
  • Date: Mon Sep 29 06:29:45 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:26:00PM -0400, Robert Boyle wrote:

> At 10:07 PM 9/28/2003, you wrote:
>
> >I am seeing the same. ARIN is completely off the air
> >

> >box02rsm-en01.twdx.net> sh ip bgp 192.149.252.16
> >% Network not in table
>
> I see them via a UUNet announcement through Veroxity and Sprint transit,
> but I don't see it via any other peer or transit provider. Are they
> multi-homed?

Single-homed /24 through UUNet's 7046 to 701. Withdrawals started at 01:21:38 GMT
(21:21:38 Eastern time), and ARIN flapped severely for about fifteen minutes.

Then they spent another hour and ten minutes inconsistently reachable from half the
world, with the picture mutating slowly.  701 seems to have been telling inconsistent
stories about ARIN's reachability, depending on which of our peers you consulted  --
IGP instability?  By 03:10 GMT everyone seems to have slowly gotten a
consistent picture again, with ARIN restored.

AS7046 advertises 320 prefixes, of which ARIN is but one.  Others (139.177.0.0/16,
139.85.0.0/16, 192.136.136.0/24) had even worse problems in the same timeframe.

My guess would be the collision of two maintenance windows -- a simple problem on
ARIN's end at the wrong moment, with global convergence severely prolonged by one of
the UUNet BGP tummy-rumbles that we commonly hear in the middle of the night.  Some
of the little UUNet ASNs with 701 upstream can be really noisy -- 816 was rocking
all night long.

James Cowie
Renesys Corporation
[email protected]