RE: Annoying dynamic DNS updates (was Re: someone from attbi please contact me ...)

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Sun Sep 28 18:07:19 2003

No, that's not how it works... (at least, the Win2K/XP-style of this)

It works based on the system's hostname. If you set your Windoze hostname to
blah.domain.com, then the server in domain.com's SOA is going to get blasted
with all those RFC 2136 updates.

In your case, I'm guessing your customers had (automatic DNS configuration
through DHCP? PPP?) a hostname in your domain, so that's actually why the
updates went your way, not because you were their primary/secondary DNS in
their DNS config.

Vivien
--
Vivien M.