Re: Annoying dynamic DNS updates (was Re: someone from attbi please contact me ...)

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Sun Sep 28 12:11:44 2003

> Back in beta days, the official explanation given was that the DNS
> updating was a "value add" and that it would never be disabled as
> a default as a courtesy to corporate customers. Furthermore, MSFT
> folks have repeatedly said that the workaround is to simply configure
> your nameserver to silently ignore the error logs.

Well, I'm not going to disable that logging since it has been useful
in signalling real attacks in the past.  But the thing Microsoft needed
to do with this was ensure that whoever is pirating my domain names on
their home PCs get error message popups telling them to go to MSN and
buy a real domain name.  That is, they could be making money here rather
than just giving my syslogd a headache.  If MSFT would behave more greedily
then their customer PCs would be contacting them rather than me, right?
--
Paul Vixie