Annoying dynamic DNS updates (was Re: someone from attbi pleasecontact me ...)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Sep 27 19:33:56 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Paul Vixie wrote:
> [email protected] and [email protected] are ignoring me as usual, so i'm spamming [email protected] in
> hopes of locating attbi clue.  i need somebody who can educate one of
> your customers who is dns-updating me.

ATT Broadband was sold to Comcast a while ago.  There is no more attbi
clue.

If you find someone, add these to the list of misconfigured Windows
users trying to "update" other people's DNS servers.

acl "bogon" {
                // Annoying dynamic DNS updates from this address
        68.39.224.6;
        68.38.156.178;
        68.38.152.156;
        68.38.158.209;
};

> PS. why is this so hard?

Are you talking about the kitchen sink protocol called DNS, or trying
to contact another ISP, or the sociological difficulties of educating
the general public how to configure very complicated "personal" computers
and software without making a mistake?

Why is dynamic DNS update enabled by default on some operating systems?