address harvesting analysis idea

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Sat Sep 27 13:58:49 2003

While sitting here watching bad TV, I had a thought(tm).

Has anyone set-up a generic web-page, not linked from anywhere useful, which
autogenerates a "contact e-mail" address (like [email protected]) and
logs which IP reads what address (even using the remote IP as the username
to provide) and then waits for the address to be used for SPAM ?

Is there any use in doing this (to try to identify who is harvesting) ?

Maybe I should go and eat some food, cool my head down.

Peter