Re: Average case performance vs. Worst-case guarantee

  • From: Mark Rogaski
  • Date: Fri Sep 26 19:39:39 2003

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

An entity claiming to be [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
:=20
: >   When an ISP buys a router does it want a worst-case guarantee about t=
he
: > router's capabilities? Or will it buy a router which can give better
: > performance in the average case (it may drop some packets if the traffic
: > pattern changes suddenly)? Assuming both cost the same.
:=20
: Worst case guarantee is necessary in many cases. Easy example:
:=20
: A router that can handle an STM-1 of regular Internet traffic is worthless
: to us if it dies in the face of an STM-1 with minimum sized attack traffi=
c.
:=20

Perhaps we can generalize this by pointing out the dearth of SLA's based
upon average-case. =20

Mark

--=20
[] Mark 'Doc' Rogaski     |     Guess what? I got a fever! And the only
[] [email protected]      |     prescription ... is more cowbell!
[] 1994 Suzuki GS500ER    |     -- Christopher Walken (as Bruce Dickinson)
[] 1975 Yamaha RD250B     |

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--