Re: FW: e-bay

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Fri Sep 26 14:05:09 2003

At 01:40 PM 26/09/2003, Ken Stubbs wrote:
the scale of this fraud is, frankly, huge, but many companies like ebay &
paypal downplay it
to avoid tainting the legitimacy of their respective businesses
I went through the steps to report it to ebay and paypal via their web interface. I got an email requesting the original message, I bounced it to them the same day quoting the appropriate ticket #. A day or so later a human being had sent a template email saying yes, its a scam etc etc and that they were investigating and that was that. 2 days later, the IP is dead.

I really feel for them. The scam site is in Korea, the email was sent via an open proxy on a cable modem in the US somewhere. Big or small, I doubt its an easy job coordinating international law enforcement to 'whack a mole' essentially. In my case, the initial IP that was in the scam mail was gone 2 days after I reported it. I dont know if that was weeks after someone else or if they did get it shut down in 48hrs. But 3 days later, I got another email with the same scam, this time to a different provider in Korea.... Next.

---Mike