Re: FW: e-bay

  • From: Gregory Hicks
  • Date: Fri Sep 26 12:37:36 2003

> From: Mike Tomasura <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: FW: e-bay
> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:25:52 -0400
>

> > I guess e-bay had some problems? A few users got this message from them.
> >
> > Dear eBay user!
> >
> > At 09.24.2003 our company has lost a number
> > of accounts in the system during the database
> > maintenance. If you have an active account, please
> > click on the link below to update your credit card
> > information. If you have problems with your account, please let us know
> > at email [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

Nope!  It is a 'credit card harvesting scam'...  (Or whatever the term
dujour is today...)

Good for identity theft purposes and for stealing credit card numbers
to run up someone else's bill...

I mean...  Look at it:  Poor grammar, poor punctuation, ...

> > https://cgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?UpdateInformation
> > <https://e%31bay.com/saw-cgi/?UpdateInformation>

Also, if this is for real, it looks like eBay has bigger problems:
Connection refused to both of these URLs.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   |

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.

Just because "We've always done it that way" is not necessarily a good
reason to continue to do so...  Grace Hopper, Rear Admiral, United
States Navy